Saturday, May 5, 2007

Thats The "Spirit"






Well, exams are over and I don't know how to feel. I mean like vodka, lectures (among other things) before them, exams are starting to wash over me, their presence meaningless, their start inevitable and their end, just a matter of time.

VJTI is still stuck in 1857 (year in which it was founded for all those who didn't know). Given below is an article which I had submitted for the college magazine. What came out eventually amounted to an intellectual insult. From that day on, I gave up my post as Nirmaan editor. I became more of a figurehead, a mannequin, ever present but mentally absent. Being editors we all had to submit insipid, boring articles inspired by ridiculous topics. Not only that, we had to heap misery on the unsuspecting student body by asking them to write on the same boring trite. Of course, should any student dare to write anything that amounts to creativity, we as editors were supposed to happily snip and trim away till what was left resembled a doughnut - hollow to the core. Compare this article of mine to the one in Nirmaan and raise a toast to the death of creativity in VJTI. Needless to say, the editors were just robots, fed by thinly veiled threats from varied sources (I know I am vauge but I'm sure you will know just where in general I am pointing to) about how we have to keep the magazine in tune with the "spirit" of VJTI. Needless to say the "spirit" of VJTI will give Egypt's oldest mummy a run for it's money. If we as editors, "failed" at our jobs, then these demi-gods snipped and cut away for us, all with a look of patient suffering registered on their faces, as if we were the worst editors that had ever taken up the hallowed post. Heaven is proof that I have tried to fail and fail again, till such an extent that the sight of me working away on the magazine was enough to give my co-editors a cold sweat. Our debates were and are boring, topics like family planning, contraception, and even issues relating to morality and is society the right one to decide were banned. The IIT's had debates ranging from incest to global warming, all televised on youth channels to spread awareness for a better India. For us to move forward and compete with the best educational institutions in India, this "spirit" should be chucked into the nearest possible grave and maybe then can produce a magazine and not the world's foremost cure for insomnia.


1 comment:

raghav said...

i submit two of my blogposts, both of which are sufficiently edited till there is no insult to the college/any profanity in them. at the end of it, 3 paras are reduced to 2 and the article makes no sense at all. wtf is it called a college magazine for?