Saturday, June 23, 2007

Walk On....

Seems like I misplaced (mentally that is) the predetermined opening line for this post. So all you poor souls will just have to make do. Anyways, seems like I have picked up my latest weird habit, not an uncommon occurrence, you might say. It seems that I derive great pleasure by going for walks late in the night.

I am, of course, not talking about the traditional late night walks, taken at round 11 in the night. Nope, it seems I get my daily Nirvana these days by walking out at 2, or sometimes even 3, in the morning, with only my driving license and my mp3 for company. While the need for the mp3 is self explanatory, the driving license is required to let any inquisitive cops know that I am not a jay walker and do possess a place I call home. It's not that difficult to blame the good police for being inquisitive about a 6 foot man wandering aimlessly at 3 in the morning, while dressed in his night suit.

However, leaving aside inquisitive cops, lusty prostitutes, shady gangsters, homeless pariahs, speeding cars driven by adrenaline fuelled youngsters and a regular dosage of pavement junkies (How badly do you want to walk at 2 in the morning now? However, I must confess I haven't met all these characters. Yet. But I am sure I will), I feel at my calmest when I am on these nocturnal sojourns of mine. In our daily hustle-bustle, we often forget how beautiful Mumbai actually is, how the sea can be calming and violent at once, how many people call this city home, and how lucky we actually are to be coming back to a roof over our heads, how this same place which is so tense during daytime, is equally placid during the night. Most importantly, I love these adventures of mine because it allows me to make sense of myself, gives me the time I need to think (It's a totally different experience from the thought process when you lie awake in bed), and makes me realize about my mistakes of the recent past (Okay, so it's only one mistake, but it's a massive one).

I don't actually know what prompted me to start walking at nights. Maybe it was the effect of books like 'Shantaram' and 'Maximum City', or just plain old restlessness, but I am glad that I do what I do, if only because I see another (a much more calmer, relaxed) side of my beautiful city, which is a paradox for the other side of myself which I am trying to understand. I am a much better, rather a much improved, person because I realize that what I was, was not out of malice, but out of fright.

Though I need many more walks, the habit looks to be nipped in the bud, by the fact that I told my parents about this, and as expected, they are now totally paranoid.

Oh well, lets see how it all pans out. Till next time,

That's all folks.

P.S. : "Everyone has their own weird habit, their own little source of joy, of escape, from this mad, mad world. Mine is that I like to go for walks in the night" - That was the original opening line.

5 comments:

Sneha P said...

hey....awesome post....
A night time stroll in Mumbai...thats actually sounds amazing...and i can only say..i wish!!!
I may be unwise if i start wandering the streets at 2 am...I might bump into the likes of U!!;)
But ya..early in the morning is another good time...which i tend to prefer....
and u're right about books like shantaram and maximum city...while they expose the ugly underbelly of the city...u also see in it the humane side...and the vulnerability and the beauty of it all...
Bombay has always been my home...so have u ever felt in ur expeditions...this strange energy as if from the city itself flowing throug u..becoming a part of u...till u can relate ur nature with that of the city...
But what kind of a dumbass tells his parents about a 2 am stroll????
u will be u na...not happy till u create some jhol or the other...neway...do let us know what happens of that...
keep blogging...cheers..

Sneha P said...

btw..blogrolled u...hope no issues??

Alok said...

yeh man, i alwez feel awesum wenevr i m in mumbai, must b some energy tht makes me call this place home, i feel alive here..thanx for blogrolling me, cheers for now...

sukanya said...

hehe. i can imagine the powers that be complaining about your ickle jaunts =P
a walk can do a lot to cure, can't it?
happy strolling..

raghav said...

i'm reading your blog after ages! i was out of town, so my entire rss feed was lying unread! good stuff so far :)