Monday, June 11, 2007

Hot And Cold

My brain is zonked. I swear it comes up with this totally eccentric thoughts inspired from eclectic sources. However, has anyone ever noticed how people from different countries will USUALLY (not always, so don't be crazy on me for this) use opposite temperature related words, to describe something good, with respect to the usual temperature of the country they live in. The effect, I think, is more pronounced when they actively dislike the general temperature of the country they reside in.

For example, people living in cold places (Alaska etc.) will usually use "HOT" to describe something they like. For example, if they like Ocean's Thirteen, or a ride at Disneyland, they'll go like "Man, that movie/ride was hot."

However, people living in hot places (Mumbai, so hot, that they call it a melting pot.) (Sudden afterthought : Please don't hate me for cracking that, my humor generally settles itself in a higher plane that that). Anyways, people in hot places tend to use adjectives like "COOL" or "CHILLED OUT" to describe the good things. For the above example, most Mumbai-ite's would say "Man, that was a cool ride" or "Man, Ocean's Thirteen is one chilled out movie."

The above should be enough proof for my readers to realize what wierd notions are entertained by my thought process, thus lending credibility to my theory, that I AM BORED.

2 comments:

Sneha P said...

dude....
if ur bored...i'm bored"er".....
u wrote it and i'm reading it...
but where the helll do u come up with this stuff????
and fyi...
mumbai IS ACTUALLY called the melting pot..but only becoz its one of the most cosmopolitan cities...
neeeway..cheers

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.